National Mining Memorabilia Association Web Forum

This Forum has been created as a means by which NMMA members can take part in the discussion of, or ask questions regarding the subjects of British mining memorabilia. Please note the Forum has now expanded and occupies several pages. The individual views and comments expressed in this Forum are not necessarily those  held by the NMMA.

• The Forum Moderator reserves the right to delete messages and threads which may be deemed to be offensive in any way to individual members of the NMMA or the general public.
  • News relating to suspected fake items of mining memorabilia or items for sale on Ebay etc. should be restricted to the General & Collecting News Section of the Forum.
  • Forum postings without validated e-mail addresses may be deleted.
  • Posting using bad or dubious language will be deleted.
  • Persistent trouble makers will have their IPP address banned from using the Forum.
  • This Forum is open to all to view but to post entries requires a password from the NMMA Secretary Jeremy Winter - For the Forum posting password please apply by e-mail to twojay.services@virgin.net

To Upload and share your mining memorabilia images click on the link to the Forum Gallery below

NMMA PICTURE GALLERY

Mining Lamps, Badges & Ephemra
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lamp Room Pictures

I'm on now sorting through my postcards and photos to get the lamp room with the Patterson lamps mentioned in my earlier posting. I came across this really eairly picture of a colliery lamp room. You can see the its full of Clannys. I would say the photo would date from around 1900 or posable a little eairlier? Notice the candle on the table ready to light the Clannys.

Re: Lamp Room Pictures

This is Gibfield Colliery (Lancashire) lamp room in 1905. Note the brass lamp checks hanging from chains and string in the place of the certain numbered safety lamps that have been withdrawn from the lamp cabin for service by colliers on shift. Has anyone got a good close-up picture of a pre '47 Gibfield check then could post on the Forum?

I'm not sure what make/type of flame safety lamps are shown in this picture. Maybe someone could identify them for me?

Mark

Hi Mark

Heres a unidentified colliery lamp room showing what may be Hailwood lamps. If you zoom in to the top left hand corner of the picture maybe you can identify the smaller type lamps? They may be officials lamps?

Also pictured is typical machinery used in the colliery lamp rooms. I recon the photo dates from around the 50s but thats just my own opinion.

Regards

Anthony

Gibfield Electric Lamp Check.

The lamps are Deflector type lamps. A number of makers had these, the most numerous were Richard Johnson Clapham & Morris.

As promisted heres the postcard of the Patterson lamp room in my postcard collection for you.

In the left of the lamp room the lamps look like wolf lamps 7MRS the HCP lamps are clearly visable and to the right of this is another table with wot looks to be Baby Patterson lamps or may be Baby Wolf lamps on along with more lamps. I'm, not sure what that is on the floor at the end of the rack were the Pattersonson HCP lamps are. I thought it might of be a lamp lighter machine or possable some sort of safe to keep parts in if you zoom in on the picture you might be able to id things better. Has anyone any thoughts on what it may? I remember there was a safe housed in the wall in the lamp room at Easington Colliery were new lamps were stored so its just a guess what the thing is pictured in the post card.

Regards

Anthony

It looks very much like a lamp lighting machine. you can see what looks to be a circular arrangement into which the lamp could be placed in order that electrical contact could be made with the igniter so as to light the lamp.

Alan Vickers.