National Mining Memorabilia Association Web Forum

This Forum has been created as a means by which NMMA members can take part in the discussion of, or ask questions regarding the subjects of British mining memorabilia. Please note the Forum has now expanded and occupies several pages. The individual views and comments expressed in this Forum are not necessarily those  held by the NMMA.

• The Forum Moderator reserves the right to delete messages and threads which may be deemed to be offensive in any way to individual members of the NMMA or the general public.
  • News relating to suspected fake items of mining memorabilia or items for sale on Ebay etc. should be restricted to the General & Collecting News Section of the Forum.
  • Forum postings without validated e-mail addresses may be deleted.
  • Posting using bad or dubious language will be deleted.
  • Persistent trouble makers will have their IPP address banned from using the Forum.
  • This Forum is open to all to view but to post entries requires a password from the NMMA Secretary Jeremy Winter - For the Forum posting password please apply by e-mail to twojay.services@virgin.net

To Upload and share your mining memorabilia images click on the link to the Forum Gallery below

NMMA PICTURE GALLERY

Mining Lamps, Badges & Ephemra
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rare British Oil Safety and Gauze Lamps

I thought it might be interesting for Lamp Collectors to share a few pictures of Rare Lamps from their collections on the Forum.
I will start with a couple of beautifull lamps from my collection of over 500 British Oil Safety Miners Lamps.
The first is a fantastic Double Bulls Eye Clanny, made by George Cooper of Sheffield. It has double makers badges, side screw lock, side gauze air intakes and a double cap to dissipate heat. I know of only this one in existence and is probably valued in excess of £10,000

The second is an exquisite corregated, tapered bonnett, bayonet vessel locator,wired lock, side filler, pail handled Protector. Again, I know of only this one in existence. Probably valued in excess of £6000.

Re: Rare British Oil Safety and Gauze Lamps

Anyone wanting to research the Bullseye Lamp details are :
George Cooper Double Bullseye Clanny. Manufacturer. Electric Works, Wicker Lane, Sheffield, Patent. Year? 1867.

Nice lamps, but are you sure about the maker of the second one? I have seen another (might even have been the same lamp?) just like it, and that definitely wasn't a Protector. Outside filler also appeared to be a later addition.

Give me a little more to go on. I know the recent history of the lamp and the information therein. I am always willing to research. One of the top collectors in recent times has provided a lot of info on this lamp and more would be welcome. I would think you have maybe seen this lamp, there was a lot of interest in it when it last came to the market.
But it is a super very rare little lamp isn't it!!!
Send the info to the e-mail address, so it can be researched, then the results posted for interest.

Ok. Will find my notes I made at the time, seem to remember the lamp was in a sale somewhere around Derbyshire?
From what I recall, the lamp seemed to have been heavily modified/repaired (I have seen an example of what it originally should have looked like) - the bayonet fitting was broken, so base was permanently attached, hence the need for an outside filler. The bonnet was also suspect.

Still, a very nice unusual lamp.

You are correct the bayonet fitting was broken, but has now been seamlessly repaired with parts silver soldered on, and all other repairs were done painstakingly and it is working as normal now. There is no other method of filling by the way.
But your notes will be interesting, please send to e-mail address below.
A few more lamps to follow.

First is an ETW Pelton patent lamp. It has double glasses and a corregated museler type tube encased in a cylindrical perforated copper tube inside the lower part of the gauze. The air is drawn down the outside of the tube and between the glasses to the burner. The burnt gases then exit up the centre of the tube and out of the top. Quite rare and probably valued in region of £2000.
The second is a fully working, Salesmans ETW miniture Clanny, only 14cms high, probably valued in region of £800. Shown side by side to illustrate difference in size.
Third Lamp is an ETW Managers No10 Shielded Davy, all brass, air regulator and sliding door for viewing gas cap on flame. Lovely stitched on leather jacket to vessel. Value probably in region of £1850.
The fourth is a fully working, salesmans miniture ETW No10, 11 cms high with nice copper gauze. Value probably in region of £850. Shown alongside full size No10.
And to complete the lineup, a miniture working, salesmans CEAG electric lamp 11 cms high. Value unknown.
All super lamps and a joy to hold.

Hows about someone else putting a few up and also someone putting up some more rare or unusual checks or badges!!

And here's another four crackers!!
First is an ETW No2 Patent, only three known to exist. All brass, pail handle. Double museler type chimney, but outer one inverted and gauze over top of chimney only. Air drawn down between shield and outer chimney, between two glasses, through a raised gauze covered inner glass mount to the burner, then up the inner chimney, out of the gauze covered top and out of the domed top. Side screw lock to vessel and side screw lock to dome and shield. Value probably around £5500.

Second Lamp is a Protector Piston Lamp, only this one known to exist.Value probably around £8500

All inards, including vessel, go in from bottom and are held up with a brass threaded ring with feet on.
copper vessel with barton ceramic burner, two glasses, inner one on raised copper gauzed stand. Museler type chimney and standard shaped gauze.

Third Lamp is an Henry Watson, Morrisons N02 Patent. Very rare, probably valued in region of £3500.

Clanny with tall museler chimney. Doubled glassed, almost on a Thornburry design where air is drawn in under the brass collar, through a gauze covered ring, between the glasses, through a gauze covered under ring to the burner. Burnt gasses exit up the tall chimney out of the top of the gauze.

Last Lamp is a very rare Clapp and Sandbrook with a ratchet bonnet lock and thermally released guaze over bucket extinguisher Value probably around £2500.

Side screw lock, with bonnett pillar lock. Unusually the side screw lock is also a lead rivett lock. The bucket that fits over the gauze is held up by a spring coil, that presumably thermally expands under too much heat, which then releases the bucket to drop over the gauze and extinguishes the flame

Here are a selection of the long, short and the tall, and heavy!!
The grooup pic is for comparisons. The tallest is the ETW Carbide Shaft Lamp at 1'-9" tall. The heaviest and biggest is the Ellis Shaft Lamp - Big Bertha - at 14 lbs - one stone!!!!!!!!!!! And the smallest working Lamp is the ETW No 10 at 4.5" tall. Thrown in are the petrol cigarette lighter at 2.5" tall (value £5!) and the key ring lamp at 1.25" tall (value £2!!).
The lamp on the right is a Yates Patent and is the normal lamp size just to illustrate the variation in sizes.

Hi Charles

Thanks for sharing these images with the rest of us. Its nice to see what some of these rarer lamps actually look like.

Mark