National Mining Memorabilia Association Web Forum

This Forum has been created as a means by which NMMA members can take part in the discussion of, or ask questions regarding the subjects of British mining memorabilia. Please note the Forum has now expanded and occupies several pages. The individual views and comments expressed in this Forum are not necessarily those  held by the NMMA.

• The Forum Moderator reserves the right to delete messages and threads which may be deemed to be offensive in any way to individual members of the NMMA or the general public.
  • News relating to suspected fake items of mining memorabilia or items for sale on Ebay etc. should be restricted to the General & Collecting News Section of the Forum.
  • Forum postings without validated e-mail addresses may be deleted.
  • Posting using bad or dubious language will be deleted.
  • Persistent trouble makers will have their IPP address banned from using the Forum.
  • This Forum is open to all to view but to post entries requires a password from the NMMA Secretary Jeremy Winter - For the Forum posting password please apply by e-mail to twojay.services@virgin.net

To Upload and share your mining memorabilia images click on the link to the Forum Gallery below

NMMA PICTURE GALLERY

Mining Lamps, Badges & Ephemra
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
lamp help

i have just purchased a eccles manchester lamp and it has a pipe sticking out of the side of the chrome top, does anyone know what this is for?

Eccles Lamp

Hi Pete

This was an adaption put on the bonnets for gas testing. A long flexible tube was secured on the spout end and then extended into areas of the roof etc. where the Deputy wanted to test for gas. The flame in the safety lamp created a negative pressure which allowed the atmoshpere at the point of testing to be sucked into the lamp. The lamp flame colour/size would then be used as an indication of the methane content as normal.

Hope this helps

Mark

Re: Eccles Lamp

The tube was connected to a telescopic metal tube (similar to a portable radio aerial), allowing the official to test areas otherwise beyond reach - usually roof cavities etc as methane, being lighter than air, tends to accumulate at high points. This was connected to a rubber bulb (like the ones used for inflating the cuff when you have your blood pressure taken). The air sample in the bulb was then injected into the lamp, which would have its flame turned down to a pin-prick.

The lamp in question would be a Protector 6RS, the later GR6S has an inlet in the lower ring for a similar purpose.

Contrary to popular belief, "Eccles" is simply the area of Manchester where these lamps were made - why does nobody refer to a Wolf lamp as a "Sheffield", or Premier or Ackroyds as "Leeds"? (winge over )

Re: lamp help

The National Coal Board training book "Mine Gases" includes instructions for 'Using a Probe Safety Lamp (6RS or GTL9)'. There is an illustration of the Protector lamp with the rubber tubing, aspirator bulb, wooden handle and probe tube attached to it.

There is also an exploded view of the inside of the bonnet which has a tubular ring fixed to it, the ring has a series of holes that allow the gas sample to enter the lamp where the lamp flame is observed in the same way as for a 'general body' observation.

I can scan the instructions and illustrations but I am unsure how to attach these to a posting - perhaps the Webmaster can advise and/or help me in this respect.

Alan Vickers.

The later GR6S had a sintered metal (looks like bronze) porous plug to act as a flame trap inside the injection port, the air sample being injected directly into the burner area. I think this was the bit that gave it it's "Garforth" title.

The "Mine Gases" book says that 'Garforth' lamps were designed so that gas samples could be collected in an aspirator bulb then injected into the lamp, via a nozzle in the base of the lamp, and then through an anulus around the wick. By this means, samples could be collected from the roof or from places difficult of access, and then the lamp could be held in a convenient position for observation of the gas cap.

Alan Vickers.

Alan Vickers
The National Coal Board training book "Mine Gases" includes instructions for 'Using a Probe Safety Lamp (6RS or GTL9)'. There is an illustration of the Protector lamp with the rubber tubing, aspirator bulb, wooden handle and probe tube attached to it.

There is also an exploded view of the inside of the bonnet which has a tubular ring fixed to it, the ring has a series of holes that allow the gas sample to enter the lamp where the lamp flame is observed in the same way as for a 'general body' observation.

I can scan the instructions and illustrations but I am unsure how to attach these to a posting - perhaps the Webmaster can advise and/or help me in this respect.

Alan Vickers.

To view the above referenced information click on the link below;

http://www.mining-memorabilia.co.uk/GT1.pdf

Alan Vickers
The "Mine Gases" book says that 'Garforth' lamps were designed so that gas samples could be collected in an aspirator bulb then injected into the lamp, via a nozzle in the base of the lamp, and then through an anulus around the wick. By this means, samples could be collected from the roof or from places difficult of access, and then the lamp could be held in a convenient position for observation of the gas cap.

Alan Vickers.

To view the above referenced information click on the links below;

http://www.mining-memorabilia.co.uk/GT2.pdf

http://www.mining-memorabilia.co.uk/GT3.pdf