Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Solo 401k

Hello :)

I have been visiting this site for years and thank you all for the great advice and guidance!

I wanted to ask about my SOLO 401k. I have a 3 single-member LLCs. One is my private practice (GS), the other a small group of therapists that I own (WFW), and third is a brand new agency I opened this year (CFW).

I've been electing to maximize my deferrals for the 401k, So I've put aside 51,000 last year between 17,500 of my 'employee' contribution and 31,500 of "employer" contribution.

Here's the thing - the first 2 llc's (GS AND WFW) are still profitable. The private practice LLC (GS) is the one through which I fund my 401k contributions (all separate business accounts) ... I have been doing it that way for 3 years. The issue now is that I still am going to have a good profit from that private practice and small profit from therapists ... The new LLC (CFW) is going to have a significant loss this year ... like 10's of thousands ...

However, my 401k, again, is 'from' my first llc (GS). I don't have the other LLC's on it and the new LLC (CFW) has employees, so I don't have a retirement plan there at all (3 part time employees) just yet ...

Do I just simply look at the private practice LLC (GS) profit/loss and make contributions accordingly, which allows me to max it out???? Or, because I'm one person, do I have to factor in my gross income as a single person with 3 companies (and count the loss from the new business - CFW). I would think the former is okay since the new business CFW is not connected (nor is the 2nd - WFW) to my SOLO 401K formed by me under the first LLC (GS)!

Sorry if this is confusing!

Thx in advance!

Zip Code: 08831