Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Flex Spending account

Anyone know the eligibility to enroll in a flex spending account for 2015 (dependent and medical) if only one parent works?

I am incurring a lot of dependant/medical care expenses for my daughter who needs daily speech therapy and occupational therapy and now needs a special pre school. Unclear if and how I can apply these expenses against my taxes. Any thoughts?

thanks
Eric

Zip Code: 22207

Re: Flex Spending account

Hi. I believe the maximum you can put away for medical expenses through your employer's FSA is $2,500 per year. Your spouse can also put away $2500 as well into his or her employer's FSA for medical expenses I believe.

Don't forget that HSAs are "use it or lose it". So only put away money that you expect to spend for your family's allowable healthcare expenses.

Zip Code: 01801