Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Penalty for taxes, but I rolled over IRA to ROTH

Your tax program should give you the option of reporting this income over the next few years - half in 2011 and half in 2012 - instead of reporting 100% of the the Roth conversion in 2010. This will allow you to either increase your withholdings at work or submit quarterly estimates to pay the taxes on the Roth conversion over the year, and avoid being hit with any underpayment penalties.

Take a look at the check box on the top of page 2 of the Form 8606. If this box is checked, you are reporting all the income from the Roth conversion on your 2010 return.

Deferring the reporting of this income may not make sense, however, if you expect your income to increase siginificantly in either of the next two years.

I hope this helps you out.

Zip Code: 01801

Re: Penalty for taxes, but I rolled over IRA to ROTH

That makes sense, thanks. My income will be increasing over the next two years (approx 20,000) each year. i'm not sure if that is substantial by your definition but that is why i was planning on paying all the taxes this year. sounds like i will have to just pay the penalties.

Thanks again, your answers are always very helpful.