Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Complex question but gestalt answer please

Thank you for your analysis. Definitely changes my thinking. I have been overestimating the tax advantages of being self-employed. Your scenario puts the $500k option at ~$90k better post-tax than the $350k scenario, which is significantly more than I assumed (I thought the difference would be closer to $50k: 50% marginal tax on $150k gross difference, then ~$25k of saved taxes via self-employed deductions).

Also very interesting that AMT has less of an effect as income goes up at the level.

I would like to find an excellent accountant who understands these issues (like yourself). I could start this year, even though I am not an attending physician yet. Also, I would like to know the advantage of having a local accountant (rather than the best accountant anywhere), especially relevant given that I will be moving in the next few years.

Thanks again for your help.