Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Complex question but gestalt answer please

Thanks for the reply and sorry for not being more clear.

Let me clarify a few things. Please ignore the benefits, as most of them (except med mal) will be provided by spouse's benefits; e.g., health benefits would be redundant. Also, the $350k job offers better location and less workload.

The question, then, is this: The $350k job offers higher tax efficiency (w/ home office deduction, technology equipment write-offs, etc.) and, by saving taxes, may offset some of the difference between it and $500k job. I would like to get a sense for how much the true difference is in $, so I can weigh it against the other variables favoring the $350k job.

If the difference is huge, then the clear decision is to go for the higher paying job. If it is not as large as one might think at first glance, then it might be better to do the better location/hours?

Please let me know if the question is unclear. Thanks!

Thanks for the clarification.

I get that if your wife makes $125k, and you have the option of earning $500k as an employee or $350k as an independent contractor. Assuming you'll be able to come up with $25k to write off against your $350k of independent contractor income, I come up with your federal income taxes going up by about $65k, your social security taxes going up by $7k, and your Medicare taxes going up by $7k - for a total of $79k of additional taxes on the extra $150k of salary.

However, you will not be subject to the self-employment tax if you are paid as an employee, which will save you $22k in taxes that you would pay as part of your federal income tax return on $325k of self-employment income.

All in all, it looks like the cost to you if federal taxes, social security taxes, and Medicare taxes would be just about $57k on the extra $150k. The AMT does not seem to have much of an impact, but it would probably become less of a factor as your total income increases from $475k to $625k.

Zip Code: 01801

Thank you for your analysis. Definitely changes my thinking. I have been overestimating the tax advantages of being self-employed. Your scenario puts the $500k option at ~$90k better post-tax than the $350k scenario, which is significantly more than I assumed (I thought the difference would be closer to $50k: 50% marginal tax on $150k gross difference, then ~$25k of saved taxes via self-employed deductions).

Also very interesting that AMT has less of an effect as income goes up at the level.

I would like to find an excellent accountant who understands these issues (like yourself). I could start this year, even though I am not an attending physician yet. Also, I would like to know the advantage of having a local accountant (rather than the best accountant anywhere), especially relevant given that I will be moving in the next few years.

Thanks again for your help.