Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Both W-2's and 1099 Misc: Schedule A vs. Schedule C for temporary assignment

Hello, I worked as a per diem physician at several different offices and corporations last year. I received a 1099 Misc for some of the work and W-2 for other jobs. I am based in SF but worked in LA for 2 months (meets the criteria for a temporary position). I believe I am eligible to deduct my living expenses from LA (rent, meals on 50% per diem rate, mileage). If so, should those be deducted on the schedule A or schedule C? Does this depend on whether I received a W-2 or 1099 Misc while in LA? Thanks...

Zip Code: 94115

Re: Both W-2's and 1099 Misc: Schedule A vs. Schedule C for temporary assignment

I think if you were to get audited, the IRS would only want you to claim those expenses associated with your independent contractor income on your Schedule C.

That being said, you get a much bigger bang for your buck by claiming expenses on the Schedule C versus as an Employee Business Expense on the Form 2106. So you might want to take some liberties when deciding where to claim many of your expenses.

For your time in LA, you should only claim those expenses on a Schedule C if the income you earned during those few months was paid to you as a 1099-Misc.

Zip Code: 01801