Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
LLC questions

Just a quick question - I've posted before regarding similar questions. I was looking at legalzoom.com in terms of forming a basic LLC ... I wasn't sure about some simple details, however.

I'm a child/adol psych fellow currently - graduating in June.

Here is my "plan" - Moonlighting at a private practice as an independent contractor (1099/LLC) until July.

Work in the 'real world' -- 4 days a week salaried ... no role for my LLC; 1 day a week with the same group that I start off as a contractor with (will be W-2 productivity based percentage) ... any additional time (a couple evenings, maybe) in my OWN private practice (1099/LLC) ...

You can see that the 'job description' of my LLC will change after July - and I likley will do some school consultations, custody evals, etc - so I'd like to have an LLC to keep things kosher ...

With all of that going on in my head, the minutia that's actually holding me up is stuff like WHAT ADDRESS to put on my LLC application (and the other questions below which I think I know the answers to)! So here are a couple of questions:

1. Do I use my home address to start because I don't have my own office space for a couple months (whenever I actually open the doors to my own individual private practice)??? Not sure about that

2. What is the role of "OFFICERS" and do I have to have them (it's just me alone)?? I'm guessing no.

3. Does my LLC 'employ' Doctors? I'm guessing yes because I employ myself, a psychiatrist.

4. Is it advisable for me to be the agent and tax matters contact? I'm putting down my own name thus far for both...

5. Should it be taxed as a PASS-THROUGH entity? (I, again, presume yes)

6. Should I bother to give myself a title? ("President" as it stands now - should it be President and CEO?)

Please advise ...

Zip Code: 08831

Re: LLC questions

Sorry to do this, but I think I'm going to defer to the legal community for these answers. Generally, a lawyer would help a person set up an LLC. Even though you will be hit with an up front fee, utilizing a lawyer will help ensure that the LLC is set up properly and will accomplish what you want it to accomplish.

Ask your collegues if they know a good lawyer in the area who specializes in the healthcare community and charges reasonable rates. Setting up an LLC is not brain surgery.

Zip Code: 01801