Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Traveling Doctor & Taxes

I am a resident in MA and are subject to MA state taxes. I am about to sign on for weekend job opportunity in Texas which has no state income taxes. Do I have to pay state income taxes on income earned in a location with no income tax?

Also, are my expenses related to this remote job tax deductible (flight, hotel, rental car, meals)?

Thanks

Zip Code: 07652

Re: Traveling Doctor & Taxes

Unless you are a Transient Worker, you always pay taxes to your home state for any income earned during the year. (Transient workers do not have a home state.) If you work in a state with an income tax, any taxes paid to that state as a non-resident reduce the taxes paid to your home state.

It's my understanding that Texas has no income taxes. So you will owe the 5.3% Mass tax on all of the income earned in Texas less your travel expenses, and will have no credit for taxes paid to another state.

And yes, all of your travel, lodging, car rental, and 50% of the cost of food, are deductible to you since you have another job in Mass, so your tax home will continue to be Mass.

Let's say that your only job was this weekend gig in Texas, and you just came back to Mass each week to be with your family. In this case, the travel back and forth would not be deductible, because Texas would become your Tax Home.

Zip Code: 01801