Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cash out roth for losses?

Joe-

While you can certainly cash out your account, you can't claim losses on your Roth IRA as a deductible item on your income tax return.

Zip Code: 11797

Re: Re: Cash out roth for losses?

All the aricles Ive been looking at online have said that you could if you liquid all of your Roth IRA's. This is my only IRA and has been open for less than a year. IS it to late to liquidate it now and use it as a tax decustion for 2008? If so could I liquidate it and use it as a tax decudtion in 2009?
Thanks,

Re: Re: Re: Cash out roth for losses?

It's my understanding of the rules that if you liquidate your Roth IRA, and the value at that time is less than the money you contributed, you do get to claim a loss. You'll claim that loss as a Miscellaneous Itemized Deduction.

Remember, these deductions are only allowable to the extent they exceed 2% of your income, and if you itemize for that year.

If you haven't liquidated your Roth IRA yet, it's too late to claim that loss for 2008. Instead, you'll report that loss on your 2009 return.

Zip Code: 01801