Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Claiming Tuition

I had a follow-up question to an earlier question...
You said that if you have a license you can claim an MPH program as CME, but if the university issues me a 1098T does that force me to claim that amount as tuition or can I still claim that money as CME?

Thanks for your help...and a great website by the way!

Zip Code: 40241

Re: Claiming Tuition

The form 1098-T doesn't force you to claim your tuition expense using the lifetime learning credit. That form is sent out to remind people who pay tuition that they are eligible for these education tax breaks. You can claim the tuition and other costs incurred whichever way results in the best tax savings to you, within the guidelines of the Tax Code of course.

Zip Code: 01801