Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Professional Privilege Tax

Tennessee levies a professional privilege tax of $400 on all licensed physicians. TN does not have a state income tax, but can I claim this as a deduction on my federal income tax return?

Zip Code: 37211

Re: Professional Privilege Tax

That's a good question. I have other clients who pay a tax like this, and they claim the tax as part of their professional expenses. But you're asking if you can claim it as a tax expense on your Schedule A.

Here is what the IRS says about taxes that are not deductible:

Taxes You Cannot Deduct

Certain state and local taxes, including: tax on gasoline, car inspection fees, assessments for sidewalks or other improvements to your property, tax you paid for someone else, and license fees (marriage, driver's, dog, etc.).

Zip Code: 01801