Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
W-2 vs 1099 & Role of LLC if independent contractor as consultant

Thank you, first of all, for this great resource.

I will try to keep things simple to get my question across without too much confusion :)

I am looking at 2 places of work to potentially join when my training is completed.

Job A - Salary based, provides benefits, W-2 ...

Job B - W-2 likely, but possible 1099 ... No benefits covered - however, office expenses such as computer/supplies can be submitted to office for deduction from GROSS income (thus, essentially tax write-off) ...

If I get the option to structure things with them to qualify for 1099, what benefits are there for me as a 'consultant' rather than employee (since they are deducting some costs for me ...) ... I would think that there are more things to deduct as a consultant that would be more than just the few expenses I could 'deduct' through their office ...

Please outline some benefits to 1099 ... If I'm a consultant do I get to write off ALL daily business miles for the consulting (not just miles to a 'non-commute' location which I now already deduct as a regular employee in fellowship)? ...

Thanks ...

Re: W-2 vs 1099 & Role of LLC if independent contractor as consultant

When you switch from a W-2 to a 1099, you get to write off your professional expenses directly against that income. It's a little easier to save some taxes for thos costs, plus your car and your home office.

You can also fund a self-employed retirement plan each year based on your profit.

Zip Code: 01801