Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
financial management fees

Can I deduct financial managment fees and fees paid to a CPA to complete my 2007 taxes? I have both w-2 and 1099 income. Thanks

Re: financial management fees

Generally, you'll deduct your financial management fees and your tax prep fees as a miscellaneous itemized deduction on the Schedule A. These deductions are only deductible to the extent they exceed 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income, and then are capped by the Alternative Minimum Tax.

If you have 1099 income, you can argue that most of the tax prep fee belongs on the Schedule C, and will be deducted directly against your independent contractor income. I don't ever remember seeing financial management fees reported on the Schedule C.

Zip Code: 01801