Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Can I have 401k, 403b and a SEP-IRA??

I work in a hospital and have a small amount of moonlighting income, paid as 1099 (about 20,000). Can I max out my 401k, 403b (with work salary) and still set up a SEP-IRA with me as the only owner (with moonlighting income). What are the contribution limits for each of these? Thanks!!

Zip Code: 02138

Re: Can I have 401k, 403b and a SEP-IRA??

You sure can.

For 2009, you can contribute a total of $16.5k into retirement accounts as salary deferrals - no matter how many places you work. Each employer can then contribute a total of $49k on your behalf - less your salary deferrals.

Since the SEP in not considered salary deferrals, you can contribute 20% of your net moonlighting income into your SEP. The one exception would be if you owned more than half of the practice where you work. In that case, your moonlighting business and your practice would be considered one business for retirement planning purposes.

I hope this helps you out.

Zip Code: 01801