Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SEP Question

I have a quick question in regard to SEP IRAs.
I am employeed an an employee of a hospital and contribute fully to a 403b/457 plans.
I have about 15K in independent contractor income this year. Can I place 20 % of 15K into a SEP and then deduct unreimbursed business expenses from the difference, or make the deductions first and then take place 20% of the remaining amount into a SEP? Thanks

Zip Code: 19106

Re: SEP Question

The amount you can contribute into a SEP is equal to 20% of your net self-employment income.

So you first need to subtract your expenses against your income to calculate net self-employment income. You then subtract 50% of your self-employment tax from that amount, and then multiply that figure by 20% to figure out your maximum SEP contribution.

Make sure to deduct your SEP contribution as an Adjustment to Income on the bottom of page 1 of the 1040. You will not claim your SEP contributions as a deduction on your Schedule C.

I hope this answers your question.

Zip Code: 01801