Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Deferred Salary in S-Corp

Looking for an answer to this question:

Setting up an S-Corp for medical practice and based on the business plan obviously there will be several months at the beginning where the Corp runs at a loss.

I'll be the 100% shareholder and also working in the practice. I plan to defer my income until the break-even point for the S-Corp and then start drawing my salary.

My plan was to count the deferred salary as a loan to the Corp with a repayment interest of 10% over a fixed term of 3 years once the Corp is in postive cash flow.

For example: If I assume that the fair-market salary for an MD in my speciality is $15,000/ month, I plan to defer the first 10 months of salary - or $150,000.

I'm assuming that this then shows up as a liability to the Corporation separate from the Owner Start-up Capital.

Does this liability then get calculated as a loss for the tax year or is it carried over until it starts to be repayed.

I'm assumed the deferred income doesn't count as income on my individual return until I receive a pay out in 2010. Correct?

Is there a better way to construct this set up for tax purposes?

What happens if I forgive the loan to the Corporation?

What's the best way to account for this on the Corp side and on the individual tax side? I've been given a couple of answers that seem to widely vary.

Thanks

Zip Code: 92130