Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Wasted deductions

There are two types of tax credits.

Refundable - you get back the full amount of the tax credit even if you have no tax liability

Non-refundable - you only get a tax break to the extent of your income tax liability

Unfortunately, the credits you list in your question are non-refundable tax credits. So that means your diagnosis is correct.

I once had a client contact me during late December with a similar question. We determined that he and his fiance would save thousands of dollars in taxes if they got married by midnight on 12/31 - since she had all the credit eligible expenditures and his income was high enough to have taxes to offset but low enough to not have the credits phased out.

I don't recall if they pulled it off.

Zip Code: 01801