Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: 1) Personal self-employed pension, 2) Taxing of retirement vehicles

Medical Resident-

You should also note that withdrawals from a 401(k), 403(b), SEP and Traditional IRA are not taked at the capital gains rate. These withdrawals are taxed as ordinary income.

There may also be penalties if monies are withdrawn prior to age 59.5.

Larry

Zip Code: 11050

Re: Re: 1) Personal self-employed pension, 2) Taxing of retirement vehicles

Thank you for getting back to me. I am trying to understand how to optimize my taxable income during the withdrawal phase of retirement.

If I understand correctly, here is a scenario:

ASSETS AT RETIREMENT:

401k-like funds = $2,000,000
Taxable savings = $2,000,000
Roth IRA = $300,000
Personal pension = $50,000/year

INCOME AT RETIREMENT:

401k-like funds = withdrawals taxed at marginal rate (33% over $200k/year married)
Taxable savings = withdrawals taxed at capital gains rate (15% now)
Roth IRA = not taxed
Personal pension = withdrawals taxed at marginal rate

So, if my two goals were to 1) stay at 28% marginal (i.e., under $200k/year married) but 2) withdraw >$200k/year, I would take $50k from the pension, then $150k from the 401k-like vehicles. Beyond that, I would take from either the Roth or taxable account.

Is this correct? Thanks and happy holidays!

Re: Re: Re: 1) Personal self-employed pension, 2) Taxing of retirement vehicles

Medical Resident-

While what you are saying makes sense today, this may not hold true in the future - especially with social security's future up in the air, the deficit, the war on terror and the endless bailout plans.

The best thing to do is establish a series of short term strategies that will ultimately become your long-term strategy.

As a resident, I think you are getting way ahead of yourself thinking about the distribution phase of financial planning.

At this point, your focus should really be to protect your income (with a high quality "Own-Occupation" disability policy, purchase term life insurance to protect your family as well as your ability to buy life insurance, establish a Roth IRA and contribute to a 403(b) plan and/or SEP plan for moonligting income, if any.

Additionally, if you are married and have children, you should see an attoney to draft a will, health care representative power of appointment, a durable power of attorney and a living will.

Hope this helps. If you want to discuss your situation in more detail, feel free to call or visit my website (www.physicianfinancialservices.com) where you can read many of my "Disability Insurance and Financial Planning Articles for Physicians". I think you will find them very informative.

Also what do you mean by personal pension plan?

Larry

Zip Code: 11050