Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Extra income

Hi,

I work as an employee in a group with a W2 income. Recently, an agency asked me to do some review work for medicare which pays well. I have the options of getting paid through my work place which they have contract, or compensated as an individual contractor. Which one is better for the tax reduction? I alredy max out my 403b at my work. What is my options to save more for retirement using this potential income? or do i need to set up a corp?

Thanks

BL

Zip Code: 14534

Re: Extra income

Ben-

You would probably be better served, from an income tax perspective, working as an Independent Contractor.

You can then deduct your professional expenses against this income. If you are paid as an employee, you would claim your professional expenses as an intemized deduction (which is subject to certain limits).

You can also contribute monies to a pre-tax retirement account (like a Simplified Employee Pension plan) to further reduce your taxable income - above and beyond your current 403(b) plan.

Hope this helps.

Larry

Re: Re: Extra income

Check out an article I wrote called Memo to Moonlighters available at:

http://www.mdtaxes.com/news0205.html#2

This article shows some of the tax saving opportunities and pitfalls of being compensated as an independent contractor.

Zip Code: 01801