Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
hsa

Hello.
I am in a high deductible health insurance plan and we use my HSA as a Roth. We have no plans to touch it and plan to let it grow indefinitely. If I decide to withdraw from it say, 30 years from now, do I need to keep medical receipts that long for proper "reimbursement"?

Zip Code: 37203

Re: hsa

That's a good question. Money withdrawn from an HSA and used for your family's medical expenses isn't taxed. Money withdrawn prior to reaching the age of 65 not used for your family's medical expenses are subject to income taxes plus a 10% penalty. Once you reach age 65, you can use money in your HSA to subsidize your retirement income, and will pay income taxes, but no penalty, on that money withdrawn.

I think you are asking whether you can tally up your out of pocket medical expenses over a number of years, and then reimburse yourself in 30 years as one lump sum.

Here is what the IRS says about this in their Publication 969:

You must keep records sufficient to show that:

The distributions were exclusively to pay or reimburse qualified medical expenses,

The qualified medical expenses had not been previously paid or reimbursed from another source, and

The medical expenses had not been taken as an itemized deduction in any year.

Zip Code: 01801