Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Practice related meals

Hello,
I'm a busy solo practioner in private practice with a s-corp entity. Since I'm always traveling between office, hospital, nursing home, I tend to grab lunch on the go in order to save time at eg: McDonalds. Is this meal deductible? Would I be able to deduct all my lunches since I am working at the time and not on break. Any documentation requirements

Zip Code: 18974

Re: Practice related meals

Unfortunately, the cost of meals eaten in the general vicinity of where you live are not usually tax deductible. That rule also applies to doctors who are on call.

The one exception is for meals where there is a business purpose - which is one where business was the topic of discussion, and there was the anticipation of gaining business from your lunch partner.

Zip Code: 01801