Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Keeping tax receipts

I'm cleaning out my file cabinet, and someone told me to hold onto 10 years worth of tax returns. I just got a fast scanner and can scan tons of documents quickly. Is it ok to scan items and keep the records as a pdf, or are there specific items that I should keep paper records of? For example, for receipts (ex for home office/from moonlighting), is it ok to scan these, or do I have to keep these in paper form? Is there anything else like W-2's I should keep in paper rather than scanned form?

Zip Code: 02114

Re: Keeping tax receipts

We get this question all the time.

Check out these guidelines issued by the Massachusetts Society of CPAs available at:

http://www.mscpaonline.org/pdf/retengde.pdf.

Zip Code: 01801

Re: Re: Keeping tax receipts

Thank you! That is really helpful. Are scanned pdf's of receipts (for home office deductions for ex), pdfs of paystubs, OK? I know I've been asked to submit actual receipts for reimbursement at work, for example, and wondered if there was something wrong with just keeping electronic copies of receipts rather than cluttering up my file cabinet. Thanks!

Zip Code: 02108

Re: Re: Re: Keeping tax receipts

I would say that if you're required to submit your original receipts to your employer, then scanned copies would be fine.

But anything that you get reimbursed for work wouldn't show up on your tax return anyhow, right?

Zip Code: 01801