Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tax issue: Business Deduction for work related education expenses

I would say the question is whether the doctoral program will qualify you for a new trade or business.

If completing the Psy.D. program allows you to do things that you couldn't do without that designation, I'm afraid the cost of obtaining a Psy.D. wouldn't be tax deductible.

On the other hand, if you can provide similar services without the Psy.D. designation, but you can do your job better with a Psy.D., then you could argue that it would be tax deductible since it's improving your skills in your current trade or business.

I have never seen this rule applied to Psychologists. I have seen that the IRS has ruled that a practicing dentist is allowed to deduct the cost of a speciality program, and a psychiatrist in training is allowed to deduct the cost of psychotherapy that is a required part of his or her training.

I hope this sheds some light on this matter for you. I'm sorry I can't give you a more exact answer.

Zip Code: 01801