Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Got a check but no legal name

I just got a Refund Check but it doesn't have my legal name on it. It came in my husbands legal name but not mine it should have read Katherine but it had Kathy. And I don't understand, Why it said that, every thing I get or send in has Katherine on it. What should I do about this, do I just sign it and cash it or get a new one sent to us.

Zip Code: 21221

Re: Got a check but no legal name

I find it odd that the government would issue a check to a different name than you reported on your tax forms.

Even so, if they have your last name correct, and used Kathy instead of Katherine, I would find it hard to believe that your bank would not accept this check.

Why not try that first. If it doesn't work, you can go through the hassle of having the government re-issue you a replacement check with your correct name.

Zip Code: 01801