Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
collection losses

I am a nurse practitioner employed by a group practice. I lost income because the company did not bill for some services properly and when they changed to a billing service from in house billing the new billing company could not collect for some services that were converted over to them. Can the loss of income for service rendered but payment not received be claimed?

Zip Code: 23323

Re: collection losses

Unfortunately, as a "cash basis" taxpayer, you can not claim an expense for money that you never collect. That's because you are only taxed on money you receive.

Most larger companies can write-off uncollectible accounts since they are on the "accrual basis" of accounting. What that means is that they report income when they make the sale. So if a customer never pays them, the only way to get that uncollectible debt off the books is by writing it off.

I hope this helps clarify this for you.

Zip Code: 01801