Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
U.S. tax system is so unfair

First it totally favors the super-rich and the poor, killing middle-classers like us. Second, my friend and his wife, both radiologists, are moving to Australia to work for a U.S. nighthawk company there, and they get to exclude the first $171,400 of their income, paying absolutely no federal tax on that. Meanwhile I'll be stuck in Manhattan paying Federal and state and city taxes...

Re: U.S. tax system is so unfair

Middle class taxpayers who work as employees are definitely at a disadvantage under today's income tax code. That's why you need to do whatever you can to minimize your tax burden - such as max out your 401(k) or 403(b) plans, pay for whatever expenses you can with pre-tax dollars, and own where you live.

If you do some moonlighting, you need to be sure to claim whatever expenses you can against that income. And then contribute to a SEP based on the remaining profit.

With the AMT as it currently stands, households earning between $150k and $550k are being hit very hard.

With respect to your friends working in Australia, don't forget that they will be paying Australian taxes on all the money they earn there. So it definitely will not be all tax-free.

Zip Code: 01801

Re: Re: U.S. tax system is so unfair

Good point about the AUS taxes they have to pay, Andrew. Now I feel better.