Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
automobile deduction

In planning for the 2008 tax year (already!), I have a question re: purchasing a vehicle and the work-related automobile deduction.

You very nicely outlined deducting mileage vs. actual expenses on your website(http://www.mdtaxes.com/news1206.html). However, I was wondering how the actual expense calculation is changed by purchasing vs. leasing a vehicle. In my case, I will likely purchase a $30,000 vehicle with cash towards the end of 2008, and try to use it mostly for work, so that a high percentage of my miles will be work-related. If I use the car 50% of the time for work, can I deduct $15,000 for 2008? or, is it necessary to depreciate the vehicle and deduct it over several years?

Thanks!

Zip Code: 02446

Re: automobile deduction

When you purchase an automobile, the amount of depreciation you can claim is limited. If you pay more than $16k for the car, the maximum depreciation is $3k in year one, and $5k in year 2. You also need to multiply the maximum depreciation by the percentage of miles driven during the year that are business miles.

If you purchase your car in 2008, I have good news for you. The recent stimulus package includes "bonus depreciation" for new autos (used autos don't count), which increases the first year depreciation by $8k. As it currently stands, this is a one-year tax break.

And if you buy one of those large SUVs with a gross loaded weight in excess of 6,000 pounds, you can write off up to $25k of the purchase price in the first year.

Zip Code: 01801

Re: Re: automobile deduction

That is interesting. I traveled a lot between hospitals. Do you need a business to qualify for the "bonus depreciation" ( I only have W2 income)?

Thanks.

BL

Zip Code: 14534

Re: Re: Re: automobile deduction

To qualify for the 2008 Bonus Depreciation of $8k, you need to purchase a new car during 2008, and more than half of the car's mileage must be allowable business miles. Believe it or not, I don't think used vehicles qualify for this tax break.

You'll then need to prorate the $8k of bonus depreciation based on the percentage of miles driven during the year that are business miles.

Zip Code: cpa@mdtaxes.com