Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
6 month Resident 6 month MD at VA med ctr tax q

Hi Andrew, I just saw this forum which I forwarded to my hospitalist friends.

my question is After my final year graduation , I went to to work at VA medical center for which I got a W2 with taxes withheld.

So I file taxes with both W-2's right, and should I be using a 1099 also , I probably am not going to do Itemized deduction .

please adivce
thanks for your valuable time

Zip Code: 42101

Re: 6 month Resident 6 month MD at VA med ctr tax q

You need to report your compensation based on how you were paid. If taxes were withheld, you're considered an employee, will receive a W-2 form, and you'll report that income with your other wages on line 7 of your 1040.

If no taxes were withheld, you'll be considered an independent contractor. In that case, the employer will send you a 1099-Misc, and you'll report that income on a Schedule C and write off your allowable professional expenses directly against that income.

Zip Code: 01801

Re: Re: 6 month Resident 6 month MD at VA med ctr tax q

thanks andrew