Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SEP vs. Keogh

Hi, your website and forum are EXCELLENT! I'm a 3rd year radiology resident and I began moonlighting last year. I received a 1099-MISC so I know I can report it as business income. My only other income is my salary (plus some interest income).

I particpate in my hospital's 403(k); I think that's what it's called, it's the one offered by TIAA-CREF. Anyway, I want to set up a self-employment retirment account against my 2007 moonlighting income.

I'm just confused whether I should set up a SEP or Keogh account. I searched through this forum and Andrew seems to prefer the SEP. Could I know why?

Thanks for the great service!
-sol

Zip Code: 02908

Re: SEP vs. Keogh

Wow, looks like you're really trying to get a jump on your retirement savings.

Great question. Prior to 2001, Keoghs allowed for larger contributions than SEPs. While you could contribute 13% of your net self-employment income into a SEP, you could contribute up to 20% of your net self-employment income into a Keogh - as long as you set up a plan that combined a Profit Sharing Plan with a Money Purchase Plan.

Well, in 2001, everything changed when the 2001 Tax Act increased the allowable SEP contribution to 20%. So now, you don't need to worry about the paperwork and filing requirements that go along with a Keogh Plan, and you can still contribute 20% of your income into a pre-tax retirement plan.

That's why I say that these days, self-employed individuals with no staff will set up either a SIMPLE IRA, SEP IRA, or Solo 401k.

Finally, another benefit of a SEP is that you have until the due date of your tax return, including extensions, to set it up. To contribute to a Keogh for 2007, you would have needed to have established the play prior to 12/31/07.

Zip Code: cpa@mdtaxes.com

Hi Andrew :)

Hi,

I just want to make sure you have my correct e-mail address for the
2007 tax forms. Please send me the pdf files as soon as possible - I
need them for my daughter's college applications.

Thank you,

Ivan Sever
isever@berklee.edu

Zip Code: 02492

Re: SEP vs. Keogh

Sol, read this http://www.mdtaxes.com/news0706.html