Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Interest on Med School Loans

For 2007, if you are single, you can deduct up to $2,500 of interest paid on your medical school loans.

However, there are income limitations. For a single taxpayer, the phase out begins at $55,000 and ends at $70,000. This is why you can't deduct your interest payments.

One way around this, is to take out a home equity line of credit for up to $100,000. You can then use that money to pay off up to $100,000 of your medical school debt and the interest on the HELOC is income tax deductible.

However, you must look at the interest rate on your loans compared to the interest rate on the HELOC minus the tax benefits. If your loan interest rate is lower, this strategy will not work.

Needless to say, you must also own a home or apartment to do this at all.

Hope this helps.

Larry

Zip Code: 11797

Re: Re: Interest on Med School Loans

Thanks for your message and advise.

I am head of household this year (single next year...since I am divorced with a child) and I don't own a house or apartment. I guess b/b I just went over the threshold of 70K this year I can't use the deduction. Thanks again

Zip Code: 22207