Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: employer sponsored child and dependent care

I'm not sure that you'll be eligible for this tax break. Unless I'm not reading the rules correctly, your business only qualifies for a credit if:

1. You pay to build a dependent care facility on your premises

2. You incur expenses in connection with operating your day care facility

3. You enter into a contract with a qualified child care facility to provide care on behalf of your staff.

So I guess my first question to you would be if you would even qualify for this tax credit.

Zip Code: 01801

Re: Re: Re: Re: employer sponsored child and dependent care

Maybe i am reading it incorrectly. My understanding is that money paid to an "entity" who is providing childcare for an employee is deductible under this credit. I know of several employers that put money for their employee's childcare expenses into a flex account. I do not believe that they would be doing it if they didnt get a tax break. Again my wife's corporation has no other employees and would be perfect for paying the nanny. I have also posed this question to my tax attorney and accountant (have not heard back from them yet). If two of the three of you feel that this credit is fruitless, I will give it up and use my time for something more constructive. Thank you very much for your time.

Zip Code: 78132

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: employer sponsored child and dependent care

Please let us know what they tell you.

Zip Code: 01801