Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
In-laws debt

Not specifically a tax question, but maybe you can help me with this. My in-laws are in very poor financial shape and we have decided to pay their heating bills. I was warned that if we start helping them financially, their creditors can try to make up some of their debts from our earnings (I am a physician, my husband is not). Is this the case? If so, what can I do to protect our financial future? What ways can we help them without putting ourselves in jeopardy?

Zip Code: 01760

Re: In-laws debt

CAJ,

You're asking a legal question and my recommendation would be to consult an attorney about this. The situation you describe is not one I've ever heard before and it seems a stretch to me for someone to come after your assets under the circumstances you describe. Neverthless, I'd check with your attorney to be sure.

Gary

Zip Code: 43232

Re: Re: In-laws debt

Thanks

Zip Code: 01760