Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Schedule D

I have begun my first year as an investor in stocks and options. I did quite a bit of trading, in both IRA and non-retirement accounts. Should I buy a software program, such as TradeLog, to compile my trading data and prepare my schedule D? Are there other software programs available that are affordable and reliable that you can recommend, if software for schedule D is recommended?

Zip Code: 23227

Re: Schedule D

Kara,

You generally don't have any reporting requirements for transactions or earnings inside an IRA.

I'm not familiar with the software you mention, but both Intuit's Quicken and Microsoft's Money can track your gains and losses. If I'm not mistaken, both can produce a tax report of your gains and losses. The versions that can handle this are about $50-80.

Their websites have comparisons of the various versions and features of each.

Good luck!

Gary

Zip Code: 43232