Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: W-4 form and newlywed

Thanks for the response. I agree the IRS calculator is decent but our situation is somewhat complicated as she changed jobs in July (residency to fellowship) and moved from MD to PA. I'm not quite sure if our itemized deductions will be more than the standard (probably not as we no longer own a home).

As for claiming 0 for myself and 1 for her as you suggest, are you referring to total number of allowances (ie. line 5 on the W-4 form)? I'm assuming yes.

Thanks,
Walter

Zip Code: 19010

Re: Re: Re: W-4 form and newlywed

I didn't realize you went from your training to your first full paying position. That may allow you to have a little less taxes withheld from your new job, since your new employer is going to withhold taxes from your salary as if you will earn that kind of money all year instead of just for the remaining part of the year.

Even so, to be safe, here is my generic advice for married couples who do not own a home and have a large disparity in earnings.

On the W-4 form, your wife should check "Married but withhold at the higher single rate" in box 3, and should put 1 allowance in box 5. You should check Married in box 3, and put 0 allowances in box 5.

Then you should either work through a tax projection by plugging this year's projected income, withholdings, and deductions into TurboTax, or you should set up a time to meet with a CPA to work through this calculation.

Zip Code: 01801