Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Deductible items?

If I buy a computer monitor and use it _exclusively_ for business purposes (website design, etc) during the tax year in which it is purchased, can I use it for personal use after the tax year is over? How late in the year could I purchase it to qualify?

Zip Code: 23226

Re: Deductible items?

What happens when you claim a business deduction for a piece of equipment, and then, subsequently, take that equipment out of business use?

In theory, you need to "recapture" a portion of the tax break that you claimed if you elected to write-off the full cost of the item you purchased. With computer equipment, you're supposed to pay taxes on 20% per year of the original cost of an item if you don't keep it in business use for 5 years.

So if you claim the full deduction this year, and then switch it to personal use the next year, you're supposed to report 80% of the deduction you claimed as income on that year's tax return. Wait until year three to take the equipment out of business use, and the percentage falls to 40%.

As far as the purchase date, as long as you pay for the item (or charge it on your credit card), and have it up and running, by December 31st, you'll be able to write-off it's full cost as a Section 179 deduction this year.

Zip Code: 01801