Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Social security and moonlighting

I am about to start moonlighting to supplement a non physician salary. I understand as a moonlighter I will have to pay 15% social security tax on that income but when I read Andrew Schwartz's 2005 article this passage got my attention

"You're subject to an additional tax known as the "self-employment tax". When you work as an employee, your employer withholds social security and Medicare taxes from your pay at a rate of 7.65%, and then matches the taxes withheld. So the government gets 15.3 cents for every dollar you earn. When you're self-employed, you're required to report and pay that 15.3% tax, known as the self-employment tax, as part of your federal tax return. (Your self-employment tax rate goes down to 2.9% once your combined salary and net moonlighting income exceeds $87,900 in 2004 and $90,000 in 2005.)

Do I add my annual pretax salary with my pretax moonlight to get the income to reach the 97,500 (for 2007) and then does anything above that get taxed at 2.9% or does all of it get taxed at 2.9%...seems like a huge difference and well worth working the extra hours...?

Thank you,
Miriam

Zip Code: 02446

Re: Social security and moonlighting

Each year, you only pay social security taxes up to a certain limit. You also pay Medicare taxes on all your earnings each year. There is no Medicare limit.

For 2007, once your combined social security wages and net self-employment earnings exceed $97,500, your self-employment tax rate decreases from 15.3% to 2.9%. However, only the income that exceeds the threshold of $97,500 (in 2007) will be taxed at 2.9%.

Let's say you earn $77,500 as an employee, and earn another $50k in net self-employment income. In this case, you will pay self-employment taxes of 15.3% on the first $20k of moonlighting income (since this brings you to $97,500), and then the remaining $30k will be subject to self-employment taxes of just 2.9%.

If you're married, you do NOT include your spouse's earnings in these calculations. For social security taxes and self-employment tax purposes, each spouse is treated separately.

Zip Code: 01801