Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: married filing separately

From what I've seen, the greater your disparity in income, the better off you are by filing jointly.

Most tax software programs allow you to run an analysis comparing Married Joint with two Married Separate returns. Or you can just prepare two separate returns, and see which way you'd be better off.

With respect to the child tax credit, that is not available under the Married Separate filing status.

After tax season, I'd be glad to take a quick look at this with you. I'm pretty confident that you save thousands of dollars by filing jointly over filing separately.

Zip Code: 01801

Re: Re: married filing separately

thank you for your reply