Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
TAX INCREASE PREVENTION AND RECONCILIATION ACT

In your March newsleter you discussed the potential benefits of funding an IRA now in inticipation of converting it to a Roth in 2010. However I didn't understand the pitfalls. Could you explain the ramifications if (1) I currently have a small Roth (~8,000) now that I haven't contributed to recently and only currently fund a 401k from my employer or (2)my wife's work has a simple IRA that she contributes fully towards. Is it beneficial for one or both of us to open an IRA?
Thank you for your help.

Zip Code: 34986

Re: TAX INCREASE PREVENTION AND RECONCILIATION ACT

I would say you'd benefit more by contributing to a non-deductible IRA between now and 2010. When it comes time to calculate how much of the conversion is taxable, your Roth IRA and your 401k plan aren't counted.

My understanding is that your wife's SIMPLE IRA needs to be included when determining what percentage of your IRA conversion will be taxed. So a smaller percentage of her IRA money converted into a Roth would be protected from income taxes.

If you have an extra $8k, I don't think you can go wrong by contributing $4k into an IRA for both you and your spouse, even if you don't end up converting that money to a Roth in 2010.

Zip Code: 01801