Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Income guarantee/ Loan repayment

I think the question you are referring to is what happens if you get a signing bonus that is treated as a loan and then forgiven over time. When you get the money advanced to you, it's not taxable. When the loan is forgiven, that's when you pay taxes on it.

We've had a few clients over the years who got income guarantees from local hospitals, and from what I've seen, it seems to work in a similar way. As you receive the income guarantee, the money you receive isn't taxable. At the end of the income guarantee period, you figure out how much you owe to the hospital.

If the hospital then forgives the money paid to you through the income guarantee, that's when it becomes taxable to you. It works like this because if you don't work at the hospital for the agreed upon period, you're required to pay back the income guarantee. Since there are stings attached, the money doesn't become taxable to you until such time that the restrictions lapse.

I hope this helps clarify this situation. It's a complicated concept that you don't pay taxes when you receive the money, but at some future date upon fulfilling certain requirements.

Assuming the hospital routinely provides these income guarantees to attract physicians to practice in the area, you should feel comfortable that the hospital's accountant will provide you with accurate information that you can rely on. Even so, it's probably a good idea to have a CPA in your metropolitan help you out with throughout this process.

Zip Code: 01801