Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: practice value based on value per patient chart

I have an article in the next issue of Financial Valuation and Litigation Expert that addresses this and other issues associated with the use of replication cost in valuing physician practices for purchase by hospitals.

Zip Code: 01701

Re: practice value based on value per patient chart

I would only use the Value per patient chart method as a rule of thumb. So many other factors affect the value of a practice. Especially when the purchaser is taking over leases, taking on the employees location in relation to hospitals, urban ares etc. Unless the purchaser is next door or sharing space with the selling MD, the patient population may not move to a new location. Or if you try to move them another physcian moves into the old office space and simply gets the benefit of the patients going to the same location by habit. I have heard of this situation so make sure the lease can be renewed.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I have generally approached practice valuations based on discounted cash flow. Recently a hospital client inquired about using a price per active patient chart. Has anyone seen this approach that could direct me to any source of information?

Thank you.

Zip Code: 07981