Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: buy house vs loan repayment

With your loans consolidated at 4%, and your salary up to $150k, I would suggest that owning a home makes more sense over the long-term than paying off your student loans as quickly as possible.

Even if you don't have money for a down payment on your home, many lenders have programs for people in your situation. I'm familiar with a program offered by Bank of America specifically for physicians that allows for 100% financing. That means you can purchase a home with zero downpayment!! I would be glad to put you in touch with my contact at B of A.

My only warning would be that you should not buy a home unless you're pretty certain you'll be living there for five years or more. Otherwise, the value of the house might decline, and you might end up losing money when you sell it.

And yes, you will save taxes by owning your home, since you can deduct the mortgage interest and real estate taxes you pay. However, I'd bet that the after-tax cost of owning a home will exceed the $1,450 you're currently paying for rent.

Zip Code: 01801

Re: buy house vs loan repayment

First of all, I agree that a 5 yr ownership time frame is a safe measure unless you are scoring a property for significantly below market value (an occurrence that’s getting fairly common during this buyer’s market).

I also agree that with money markets ar ~5%, paying off your debt at 4% may not be the best big picture financial choice but paying debt off never gets anyone in trouble.

Now to the mortgage question… at Bank of America, we have special programs geared to a primary residence purchase with little or no money down. For example, someone buying a home for $300k with no money down (also, get the seller to pay your closing costs…) and a fixed rate of 6.00%, your payment can be as little as $1500 per month plus taxes, condo fee and/or home owners insurance. This might total $1900. With a typical federal tax deduction, your after tax cost might just be 1400-1500. With a little luck and some home value appreciation, you have a very high ROI (return on investment) especially with no money down and the seller paying your closing costs …

A little investigation never hurts and at least positions you to know your options. Don’t hesitate to call for a no commitment complimentary consultation. I am a mortgage consultant with B of A and specialize in customizing mortgage solutions for your unique situation.

BTW, if you are going to consider buying, I suggest that you engage a good RE agent especially in this market. Typically this is at no cost to you and instead a cost generally paid by the seller. Do your homework now and be ready to buy in the dead of winter when value is even better!

Zip Code: 01867

Re: Re: buy house vs loan repayment

Thx for all the good information!

Zip Code: 92373