Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Deduction of Student loan interest

You are correct that you can deduct up to $2,500 in student loan interest each year. However, my understanding of the rules is that you can only claim the deduction for interest that you paid during the year, and interest that is accruing on your loans doesn't count.

You should have received a Form 1098-E during January which reflected the total student loan interest you paid during 2002.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I am a resident physician with a significant debt that is accruing interest while it is in forbearance. Unfortunately, I have only paid a small amount of interest in the last fiscal year. Can I deduct accrued interest on which I HAVE NOT paid? I was under the impression that I could not, but I had a fellow resident tell me that I could deduct up to $2500. If this is true, how could I ammend my taxes for this year.(I just sent my taxes in.)

Thanks in Advance,

Scott

Zip Code: cpa@mdtaxes.com