Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lifetime Learning Credit

My spouse is a medical-school student and I am employed. Our tax status is married, filing jointly; our MAGI is $56,000; and we otherwise meet all the criteria for the Lifetime Learning Credit. Does the first $5000 we paid in medical-school tuition qualify under the Lifetime Learning Credit? Nothing on the IRS.gov web site cites medical- or law-school specifically as regards this issue, and I have come across what seem to be contradictory answers to the question elsewhere. Thank you kindly.

Re: Lifetime Learning Credit

Yes, the amount paid during the year for medical school tuition definitely counts for the lifetime learning credit. According to the rules, the lifetime learning credit applies to undergraduate courses, graduate level courses, and nondegree courses as well. The one requirement that must be met is that the course be taken at an accredited college, university, or vocational school.

The lifetime learning credit is equal to 20% of the first $5,000 spent on tuition and required fees. So that means you'll save $1,000 in taxes this year. And for 2003, the credit will double to 20% of the first $10,000 spent on tuition and fees.

Not everyone is eligible for this credit. If you're single and your adjusted gross income exceeds $50,000, or married, and your combined adjusted gross income exceeds $100,000, you're not eligible for this tax credit. You might still be eligible for the new $3,000 tuition deduction, but that only applies to single individuals whose AGI is less than $65,000 or married couples whose AGI is less than $130,000.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

My spouse is a medical-school student and I am employed. Our tax status is married, filing jointly; our MAGI is $56,000; and we otherwise meet all the criteria for the Lifetime Learning Credit. Does the first $5000 we paid in medical-school tuition qualify under the Lifetime Learning Credit? Nothing on the IRS.gov web site cites medical- or law-school specifically as regards this issue, and I have come across what seem to be contradictory answers to the question elsewhere. Thank you kindly.

Zip Code: cpa@mdtaxes.com