Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Schedule C

You definitely don't include your salary as income on a Schedule C. Instead, you should claim the home office deduction as a miscellaneous itemized deduction on the Schedule A.

Remember, the total of all of you miscellaneous itemized deductions, including your home office deduction and your other professional expenses, are only deductible to the extent they exceed 2% of your income. Plus your total itemized deductions need to exceed the standard deduction, or you won't save any taxes by itemizing.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Please help me verify that if I am deducting my "business use of my home" with Form 8829, as a medical resident I do not have a cost of goods sold/gross receipts on Schedule C. Or do I consider my salary as gross receipts on schedule C?

Zip Code: cpa@mdtaxes.com