Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: missing 1099-G

Can you clarify if reporting state refunds on your 1040 is something that everyone should do? My state refund last year was only $58, and for this year it is in the neighborhood of about $400.

You said it isn't necessary to file a 1099-G, right? Do I even need to report it on my 1040 for such small numbers?

This may be an easy question for an accountant, but how is reporting my state tax refund changed by the extent to which my itemized deductions exceed the standard deduction?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

If you know the correct amount, just report your state tax refund on the applicable line of your 1040. The IRS does not want you to attach the 1099-G to your tax return, so it's okay if you don't have the form.

Remember, your state tax refund is only taxable if you itemized your deductions last year, and then, only to the extent that your itemized deductions exceeded the standard deduction you were eligible to claim.

In a few years, the IRS will begin matching all of the 1099 information they received from the various payors, to the information on everyone's tax return. If you don't properly report the taxable state tax refund on your tax return, you should expect to hear from the IRS at that time.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I never received form 1099-G for my 2001 tax year Californina refund. Since I know the amount, can I use the information provided on my 2000 1099-G (franchise tax board address and payer's FEIN)? My return is otherwise complete.