Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Deductible items?

Hello!

I am a PGY-3 resident (Peds) in Philadelphia.

In preparation of taxes I am wondering if the following items are deductible, i.e. is it worth the time/money to itemize:

1. travel expenses: hotel, air, etc. r/t my seearch for a job (I am continuing education in another residency after Peds)

2. Expenses r/t "outside" rotations (I did a rotation in another state, where I rented a car for 4 weeks, rent, state medical license fee etc...)

3. Professional subscriptions (e.g. Audio-Digest - audio CME course)

Thank you very much

Alexander Gurfinkel, MD

agurf@teleport.com

Zip Code: agurf@teleport.com

Re: Deductible items?

As a physician, you're allowed to deduct those expenses that are "ordinary" and "necessary" in connection with your profession. On our home page, we have a link to a list of the professional expenses commonly deducted by your colleagues.

If you're compensated as an independent contractor, you can generally deduct those expenses directly against that income on a Schedule C. Otherwise, you're required to claim your professional expenses as a Miscellaneous Itemized Deduction.

The problem is that your miscellaneous itemized deductions are only allowable to the extent they exceed 2% of your income. In addition, your total itemized deductions must exceed your standard deduction to make it worthwhile to itemize. For those two reasons, many people who are compensated as employees don't end up getting a tax break for their unreimbursed professional expenses.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hello!

I am a PGY-3 resident (Peds) in Philadelphia.

In preparation of taxes I am wondering if the following items are deductible, i.e. is it worth the time/money to itemize:

1. travel expenses: hotel, air, etc. r/t my seearch for a job (I am continuing education in another residency after Peds)

2. Expenses r/t "outside" rotations (I did a rotation in another state, where I rented a car for 4 weeks, rent, state medical license fee etc...)

3. Professional subscriptions (e.g. Audio-Digest - audio CME course)

Thank you very much

Alexander Gurfinkel, MD

agurf@teleport.com

Zip Code: cpa@mdtaxes.com