Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: signing bonus and stipends (1099-MIsc)

When you get paid with no taxes withheld, you're considered an independent contractor for tax purposes. That means that you owe federal, state, and self-employment taxes on that income.

There are a few advantages to being paid as an independent contractor. First, you can deduct your unreimbursed professional expenses directly against your income. Plus, you can defer taxes on a portion of the income by setting up and contributing to a SEP IRA. You have until the due date of your tax return, including extensions, to set up a SEP for 2002, and you can contribute up to 20% of your net self-employment earnings into the SEP.

If you'll be claiming professional expenses against your 1099-MIsc income, you'll need to complete and attach a Schedule C to your federal tax return. You will also need to complete a Schedule SE to calculate the self-employment taxes due.

Best of luck in Kentucky.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I am a third year resident (NJ) who signed a contract to start a practice in a rural community (KY)in November of 2002. I received a $10,000 signing bonus and a $1000/month stipend until I start in July of 2003. I received a 1099-Misc for 2002 with $12,000 non-employee compensation. How do I handle this with my taxes? Do I claim myself as a business? Independent contractor? Do I have to pay self-employment taxes? Do I claim this on my state and local taxes? Any help this this situation will be appreciated, thanks.

Zip Code: cpa@mdtaxes.com